Friday, October 8, 2010
To His Coy Mistress
The line that stands out to me the most in the poem is "But at my back I always hear - time's winged chariot hurrying near." The line is not only packed with effective literary devices but also serves a pivotal role in the progression of the poem. This line stands as one of the two main transitional points in the poem, in which the tone shifts and the message from the narrator diverges onto a new path. Specifically, this line signifies the shift to a warning and partially threatening tone where the narrator explains the ultimate consequence of his mistress's coyness. The author obviously put a lot of effort behind this particular line to make it noticiable, as it is among the top three most important lines in the poem. Some techniques Marvell uses are personification and allusion: Time is personified as the driver of Apolo's Chariot. Furthermore, this line the in the poem caught my attention each time I read the poem. This leads me to believe that the Author purposely made this line especially noticable so the people could better under stand his poem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good analysis of the winged chariot.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read the poem I didn't really look to the line, "But at my back I always hear - time's winged chariot hurrying near." being an essential part to the main idea or concept behind Marvell's poem. However, you opened my eyes and helped me realize that in fact it is obvious that Marvell used this line, through his allusion and personification, to transition the points of the poem and address tone shifts of the speaker.
ReplyDelete